Saturday, August 16, 2008

Reporting from Beijing

Knee How (actually I don't know how the Chinese really spell their "hello", but the sound is just like their daily greeting) from Beijing. Here I am on my second day of my third Olympic experience (after Sydney and Athens) and on my first day I got to go to the "Bird's nest", or the main Olympic stadium here in Beijing. It is an amazing structure and when you are inside, the energy of the fans, the cheering, the competition and the Olympic spirit are amazing. Now, the food they serve is just crazy... yesterday I asked for a sandwich, and they were all out, so instead I ended up with three hot dog buns and a snickers bar (that's all they had left besides hot dog, which I am not willing to try, and some weird chunks of meat on a stick... i did not ask what kind of meat it was...) Security lines to get into the Olympic village take between 50 minutes and an hour and a half, so if you are planning on seeing an event you have to come two hours in advance. The lines to get drinks or food are not much better, between 25 and 45 minutes. So much stuff has changed around the city from the last time I was here in May... they really cleaned up the city very well and try to show the best to al visitors. I am including a couple of pictures, and the best men's 100 meter race ever... those guys are fast. I still cannot believe I was there to see it!!



No comments: